How to Play Baccarat : When you think of a casino, you will mostly think about the big games like Poker, Blackjack, Roulette, etc. Well, why not? These games are the most popular among the lot. There are plenty of other fun games (even simpler) to play at the casino table so that you have a good time the next time you decide to gamble.
One such game you need to know about is Baccarat. In very simple words – this is a guessing game with no real strategy or skill-level required. For years, it was considered only a game that casino elites and veterans used to play, but more recently, it has been made accessible to the general public. Note that there are plenty of online sites as well where you can play Baccarat and learn how to play Baccarat.
How to Play Baccarat Game | Rules, Strategies, Variations
Elements of a Typical Baccarat Game
The Baccarat Table
Typically, the game is played between 7 to 14 players. The size depends on the Baccarat platform or casino and the version of the game that is being played. No matter the number of players around the table, there are only two cards that are dealt – Banker and Player.
The Betting Areas
There are three betting areas, Player, Banker, and Tie. They are marked with distinct colors and written words, above the tabletop.
He/she is responsible for dealing with the cards. They stand at the center of the table so that all the players are within an accessible reach.
The Commission Box
There is a 5% commission that goes to the dealer every time the banker wins. There may be a single large box kept near the bank, which tracks the commission or individual boxes kept beside each player.
How Are Points Calculated in Baccarat?
The point system in Baccarat game is different from most other games. One important rule is that nine is the highest number that can enable a hand to win.
- Each picture card and 10 cards do not carry any point.
- The cards which are numbered between 2-9 carry the same points as their number.
- The ace carries a single point.
- If the addition of banker cards’ value or the player cards’ value crosses 10, then the first digit is eliminated and the second digit becomes the value of the hand. For example, if they add up to 15, then the value of the hand is 5. The bet on the hand that is closest to 9 becomes the winner.
How to Play Baccarat | Step By Step Guide
To learn how to play Baccarat, please follow the below steps.
Step 1 : Before you begin to play, keep a budget in your head and just stick to that. Baccarat can be intensive and addictive, especially if you see streaks of the hand you bet on, winning.
Step 2 : Before the cards are dealt by the dealer, place the bets. You can place your bets on Banker’s hand, Player’s hand, or the Tie.
Step 3 : Then the round begins. In a normal round, two cards are dealt for each of the Player and Banker’s hands. There might be additional cases when a third card may be drawn for either of the hands.
Step 4 : Understand how the point system works. The hand whose value is closest to 9 becomes the winner.
Things to Keep in Mind Before Playing Baccarat
- Make sure you decide how much you want to spend in advance. As mentioned earlier, it is extremely easy to get carried away as the game progresses. Treat this as an expenditure for a night out, do not expect to bring any money back. So, choose only the amount that you will be completely okay losing.
- To add to this, do not bring credit cards. If you do, you might be tempted to continue playing.
- Decide when you want to leave the game. It is not suggested to continue playing for greed or desperation. Many players set a positive limit and a negative limit on their money, for when they will quit the game.
Difference Between Natural Win and Third Card Drawn
Well, there are two ways you can win in the game of Baccarat. A natural win happens when the point total of either hand is 8 or 9. When this happens, the game is over and the bet amount is paid.
When the total of the hand value does not equal 8 or 9, the dealer may draw another card depending on the total value. The rules when the third card should be drawn are extremely clear. Know that before you begin to play.
Variations in the Baccarat Game
Depending on the venue it is played, and the people who play it, there have been different variations in the Baccarat game. Here are some popular ones:
The Big Baccarat
The Big Baccarat is the original version of the game with up to 14 plates seated around a large, marked table. The players who give the biggest bet for the banker’s hand or the player’s hand, get a chance to look at the cards before they are announced to the other players. But this does not provide any advantage to them, it’s just a plus.
Midi Baccarat is almost the same as the traditional version, but a total of 9 players play this game. The players with the largest bet can view the cards, but again, it does not offer any advantage to their game.
Mini Baccarat is a high-intensity game with 7 players around the table. Some games reach more than 100 decisions in an hour. Typically, casinos do not allow the viewing of cards for the biggest bettors, although there could be exceptions in some casinos.
It is a small variation in Baccarat that some casino sites offer. The general rules of Squeeze Baccarat stay the same, but as a player, you get a chance to squeeze, bend, twist or fold the card as a part of the dealing activity. This does not give any advantage but is considered a tactic to lengthen the gameplay or just for fun.
- Baccarat is a fun game to play, but it is easy to get carried away. Be conscious about the money you spend on this game, only work with the amount you would not mind losing at all.
- Do not get emotionally attached to the game, whether it goes in your favor or not. Consider it as a relaxing activity and nothing more.
- More importantly, stick to the rules, play ethically, and treat others at the table with kindness and dignity, even if you are having a bad day at the table.
That’s Baccarat for you! Watch some videos online, talk to people who have been playing it for a long time now, and try the game the next time you are at the table. If you do not want to go to a casino, there are plenty of sites as well that offer Baccarat as a game.
Read through the terms and conditions of each of these sites, before you start learning how to play Baccarat. Only play at legit and trusted casino websites. Have fun playing responsibly!